- Coir suppresses root rot and damping off: These two problems are the bane of hydroponics and aquaponics. Studies have shown coir does this because it suppresses soil-borne pathogens such as pythium.  
- Structure: Good water retention, oxygenation, and nutrient retention.
- Reusable, biodegradable, organic
- It comes in pellet or plug form making it just as convenient as environmentally unfriendly products made from plastic or rockwool.
- It is a sustainable product unlike peat. Harvesting peat releases greenhouse gasses and destroys important peat bogs that take centuries to recover.
 Candole, B. and M. Evans. 2004. Suppression of soil-borne diseases caused by Pythium and Phytophthora species in coconut coir-based substrates. HortScience 39:665–666 (abstr.).