Our blog contains lots of articles and is searchable. Here is a link for example to all the reference articles. We also run workshops and courses.
Dr. James RakocyDr. Rakocy was formerly the Director of the University of the Virgin Islands (UVI) Agricultural Experiment Station and a Research Professor of Aquaculture. Known as the “Father of Aquaponics,” Rakocy obtained his PhD in aquaculture from Auburn University in 1980.
Much of Dr. Rakocy's research is foundational to what is happening today in aquaponics and is available on the internet. Click here to get his story in his own words.
Here are some articles written by him:
Dr. Nick Savidov (Alberta, Canada)Dr. Savidov is an internationally recognized expert in aquaponics. He has been involved with aquaponic research and development for 11 years. His aquaponic design innovations include aerobic bio-digestion (to recover nutrients and water), full automation (reducing labor and increasing efficiency), and more efficient oxygenating systems that increase yields.
He was born and raised in his native Russia, where he received his Ph.D. degrees in Plant Physiology and Biochemistry in Russian State Agricultural University in Moscow in 1991. He conducted his postdoctoral studies in Plant Biochemistry Lab in Ben-Gurion University in Israel before he moved to Canada in 1997, where he continued his research in Plant Molecular Biology Lab at University of Alberta till 2001.
Dr. Savidov then assumed the position of the Leader of Research Greenhouse Crops Program at Crop Diversification Centre South with Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development in 2001, where he worked on a variety of projects related to greenhouse production including aquaponics and biochar.
At present, Dr. Nick Savidov is a Senior Research Scientist at Lethbridge College.
Here are some articles:
- Aquaponics is superior to Hydroponics
- Aquaponic Production and Market in Alberta
- Aquaponic Production and Market in Alberta Phase II of the study
- High-Yielding Aquaponics for Vegetable Production
Dr. Wilson LennardDr. Lennard is a PhD graduate from RMIT University in Australia with 10 years of practical commercial aquaponics experience and knowledge. He is skilled in research and engineering and has experience in associated aquatic disciplines. His professional scientific career spans almost 20 years. He is partnering with Dr. Rakocy to write a book on aquaponics and his full bio can found here (scroll down).
Here are some articles:
- Fish to plant ratios
- Media beds and design
- Water Chemistry
- Media bed sizing tools - This is a great calculator for sizing your media bed. Highly recommended!
Dr. Nate Storey
Dr. Nate Storey is the owner of Bright Agrotech and is the developer of the vertical solution ZipGrow Towers. His Youtube channel is full of very useful technical and practical information.
Universities and Colleges with Aquaponic programs
- Vancouver Island University, Canada
- Lethbridge College Canada
- University of Virgin Islands, United Sates - Workshop - 3 day course
- University of Arizona
- University of Florida
- University of Hawaii Windward Community College, United States
- Cornell University, United States
- John Hopkins University, United States
- Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology University, Australia
- Stellenbosch University Welgevallen Experimental Farm, South Africa
- University of Zurich, Switzerland
- Al Ain University, United Arab Emirates
- Click Here For a More ...
The Best Engineering Book On Recirculating Systems
This book is a fantastic resource if you're looking to actually size your components using engineering principles: Timmons, M.B., Ebeling, J.M., Wheaton, F.W., Summerfelt, S.T., Vinci, B.J., 2002. Recirculating Aquaculture Systems: 2nd edition. Cayuga Aqua Ventures.
It's very hard to find however for a decent price.
Promoters and Popularizers of Aquaponics
- The Aquaponics Association
- Green Acre Aquaponics - Gina Cavaliero and Tonya Penick.
- Colorado Aquaponics - JD and Tawnya Sawyer
- Sylvia Bernstein author of the popular book "Aquaponic Gardening"
- Murray Hallam - Lots of great Youtube videos on his channel.
Food Safety CertificationAquaponics Association Provisional GAP
CanadaGAP - food safety program for companies that handle fruits and vegetables
NSF International - Independent accredited certification
Aquaponics Food Safety Process Control Example
The Aquaponics Association has developed a set of provisional Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) for aquaponics, a first step in enabling future food safety audits for large aquaponics operations.
- Removing solid fish waste from the system especially when producing leafy greens
- Preventing system water from touching the edible parts of the plants.
- Avoid using media beds as a place to mineralize solids
Study of Aquaponic Water Food Safety from U of Hawaii
Useful Contacts Regarding Fish
Licenses for Fish
Do You Need A Licence? - Aquaponics Licensing FlowchartDFO Freshwater/Land‐Based Aquaculture licence: Freshwater.aquaculture@dfo‐mpo.gc.ca
Introductions & Transfers Licence: famitc@dfo‐mpo.gc.ca
CFIA Import permit: ImportsAHWest@inspection.gc.ca
TilapiaSumas Lake Aquafarm - Abbotsford, BC - Chris Rempel: firstname.lastname@example.org
MDM Aqua Farms ltd. - email@example.com (403) 368-2134
Aqua Grow Enterprises - Yang Qian (403) 815-8063
NOA Fisheries - Jason (416) 546-6623
Northern Tilapia - Lindsay, ON- Gary Chapman at firstname.lastname@example.org
PerchNorth Shore Fish Farms - Kingsville, ON - (519) 326-0940
TroutON and Quebec - FishFarmSupply Links
BC - Miracle Springs
AB - Ackenberry Trout Farm; Allen's Trout Farm
BC - Okanagan Koi & Water Gardens
University of Guelph-Alma Aquaculture Research Station - email@example.com
Federal Dept of Fisheries & Oceans- Aquaculture - Doug.Geiling@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Canadian Aquaculture Industry Alliance - firstname.lastname@example.org
Canadian Center for Fisheries Innovation -email@example.com
Fresh Water Fisheries of BC